Introduction to IES-SYPA
The Young Professionals & Student Activity Committee (YPS-AC) of the Industrial Electronics Society (IES) offers financial support to the IEEE IES Student members to attend IES conferences. They have pre-allocated 53 IES Student and Young Professionals Paper Assistances (IES-SYPA) up to US$2000 each for conferences in this year and INDIN 2022 conference is part of it.
IES-SYPA for INDIN 2022
Since INDIN 2022 is online only conference, the winners of the video competition will get their paper registration fees refunded and also get a certificate.
How to participate
For more details and instructions for taking part in the video competition, click here.
The rules to prepare the 3M video
- The length should be exactly 3 minutes even 1 second more is not tolerated.
- Avoid using PowerPoint slides for most of the video. Only up to 30% of the video (1min) can be from the presentation slides.
- At least the first 3 seconds should be devoted to the paper title, authors, affiliations, etc.
- At least the last 3 seconds should contain the acknowledgement to IEEE IES for the IES-SYPA!
- The video file should be sent through sharing websites like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. (just send the link to download) and never attach the file in the email.
- Send the following information in the email. They will be added to your video information on IES
- Running title, less than 50 characters that would be the name of your video on the IES YouTube Channel
- Paper title, authors’ names, affiliation
- Paper abstract
- Any other information you like to have about your video on the YouTube page
- Email subject should be exactly as your name – Conference name – IES-SYPA – 3M Video Example: FirstName LastName – INDIN2022 – IES-SYPA – 3M Video
Please send the email at least 10 days before the conference to Marek Jasinski (Contact Details). A committee checks your video, and you may receive some comments to improve and resend the video as well. Also, each video will receive some scores based on its impact, creativity, style, presentation, video quality, etc. After final approval, the video would be uploaded on IES YouTube Channel, and you will receive an email including the link to your video on IES YouTube Channel. You should copy that link to the IES Facebook Event page of the conference and wait for the thumbnail to appear, then post it!!! Moreover, you should similarly post the link of your video to the IEEE Collabratec.
See the past videos at IEEE Industrial Electronics Society youtube channel for inspiration.
Some tips to prepare your video
- The idea of 3M video session is to help students learning how to advertise their project to the public and promote the Authors. Whether your work is just theoretical or by simulations, you are expected to prepare the movie as interactive, live and interesting for the viewers. Record some minutes from running results in the software, during simulation or practical tests.
- Record some videos from your hardware design or even software results (e.g., the screen of your computer) while they are running. At least 70% of your video should include interactive parts and not solid slides.
- It is recommended to present the work with your own voice during the video recording. Please present it in a different way than a PowerPoint presentation. Your video will be on IES YouTube Channel and should attract viewers.
- Showing some information on the video using simple texts as subtitles is also recommended. Note that the voice is useful for YouTube viewers, however, during the conference it will be replaced by your 3M speech. The video will be displayed with no sound. (Not for Online Events)
- For online events, the video will be displayed by the host. So, your presentation recorded on the video is helpful.
- Sometimes background music could make your video much more interesting.
- The audience already saw your paper presentations so be different in your videos.
- Try to make people interested in your videos. Devote some seconds of the video to your office, lab, any places that you are working in and show the stuff you are using for that project, introduce co-authors, and supervisors, explain motivation, etc.
- The 3M video does not need to show the details of your work. Some concepts are enough to attract people’s attention. Deep theoretics and mathematics are not useful to advertise your project to people with different interests.
- Note that the video should be alive and interactive. Static pictures do not interest anyone. Find gif or flash images from the Internet.
- Here you can watch a good example of a 3M video recorded at MIT -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inX07rt1kgU
Look at other videos posted by students for SYPA at the following links: